Friday, January 25, 2008

Webster Teaches More than Definitions


I grew up with one. My Aunts Char, Cindy, and Kimmy have one. My sister Christy has two. My cousin Pete has one. My buddies Schell, Slyder, and Bryej have one. Katie has been begging for one. What you ask? A dog.

We frequently dogsit our friend Annie's 10 year-old, well-behaved, and loyal lab Murphy. Katie could not believe how easy and fun a dog is. I will admit, I was starting to come around myself. Katie was even able to quickly forgot the nightmare of a dog she had growing up, Mocha. In fact, when Katie's parents recently bought a yellow lab puppy, her desire for a dog grew more than ever.

All of us went to the breeder to pick up this cute, fuzzy, and peaceful puppy. Katie's Mom named him Webster (after the dictionary). He was timid at first, then lazy, and ultimately began to warm up just in time for us to puppysit as Katie's Mom headed to Vegas.

How quickly cute, fuzzy, and peaceful has become work, work, and more work. More telling, it is funny how Katie's desire for a puppy was quickly replaced with a desire for a good night sleep, no need to clean up #1 or #2 on the floor, and no bite marks on her toes. Did I mention, it has only been three days.

Sure, we love Webster and he will no doubt become a great dog. One day, we may even get one of our own. However, now is not the time. I guess I should thank Webster for teaching Katie that we are not ready for a puppy. Hopefully after Katie's Dad has to watch Webster the next two nights he doesn't feel the same way!!!

No comments: