Friday, February 15, 2008

Slip Sliding Away

So yesterday I rear-ended a car leaving work. We had about 6 inches of snow on the ground, all on top of ice. I wasn't speeding; I wasn't on my cell phone; I was paying attention. I was unlucky though. My slow speed was not slow enough. Before I knew it I was sliding helplessly toward the stopped car in front of me and then CRUNCH! On Valentine's Day nonetheless. The good news...No injuries. In fact, no damage to his car. However, my trusty Buick Regal needs a face lift to get back to perfection.

I look at this as my official christening as a Traverse City resident. I guess you know you live in Northern Michigan when you tell people about your accident and they proceed to talk to you for 15 minutes about their countless rear-end jobs, 360 degree spinouts, and "ice-capades."

I'll chalk this one up to Old Man Winter, who seems to be a bitter, bitter man this year. Then again, I hear the same old line everyday up here: "this is nothing." Perspective is everything I guess. And, from my perspective, this is something and I am ready for Spring. Nonetheless, I guess this is the price I pay to live in what many call "God's Country" for three months out of the year. Just like my deductable, winters up north are costly!

No comments: