Monday, June 2, 2008

Oh what a difference a year makes...

I was talking to my friend Lee the other day after work and was reminded of my life a year ago. Lee just graduated from The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law and began studying for the Bar Exam. I vividly recall the summer that was endless hours of Bar prep courses; endless hours of outlining, practice questions, and studying; endless hours of anxiety; and endless hours of solitude. Of course I expressed this in not so dismal terms to Lee, but I knew full well the journey that lies ahead for him this summer. Ultimately, I have no doubt that he will make it. He, like I did, will pass. He hopefully, like I do, will enjoy what lies ahead in the practice of law. Hopefully he will look back a little less than a year later and say unequivocally that it was all worth it. I am saying it now.

I am now a partner at my law firm. I eat what I kill, and so far it tastes pretty good. I chose a different path. Not one for better or for worse in relation to others, but one that was, and continues to be, right for me. The big firm allure never did it for me after experiencing something akin to it at Accenture. So, I chose the small firm route. Nonetheless, I am representing major companies and individuals on business matters and intellectual property disputes from around the world. My two partners (my elder by nearly 20 years) daily treat me as equal and provide me the insight and guidance I need to become the best attorney I can. I am empowered to make a difference. Like every other attorney, it requires lots and lots of practice (which is why it is called the practice of law). Fortunately, I like the practice, and more importantly, I love my life.

No comments: